Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Because I can...

A conversation with E.'s friend's mom...slightly shortened version

Her: You pissed me off the other day and you didn't even know you did it.
Me: What?!?
Her: Your daughter told my daughter that she has never gone home to an empty house, that you are always home after school. She then said "how come you can't do that?" I was thinking thank you very much, Kelli. I'm so envious of that.
Me: ......I'm very fortunate to be able to be home for the kids. We decided when we had kids that if we could do it, I would stay home for them. With what I do, I can. (even when I picked apples I made sure I was home before the kids but I left that out)
Her: I'm just jealous!

This is the first time this has ever happened.
Usually it's "why don't you get a job?" or "so-and-so is hiring" or "is that all you are going to do with your life, stay home with the kids?" Or when I make something for someone it's "Someone has too much time on their hands".
I know that some families aren't as fortunate as we are and have to have both parents working away from home. I can work from home, not making millions but making an income, and doing something I enjoy. I don't have to travel, pay for daycare, or leave my children home alone. Mind you if I went to work outside the house...maybe a newer vehicle would be in our driveway or the house would get fixed up faster but at what price...I'm content with what we have. Although if it weren't for someone's generous bonus, things might be different. I might not have a room full of stamps! But don't tell him that!

Don't forget that this Sunday is the bestest craft sale ever! If you aren't at the Benvoulin Heritage Church on Sunday, you don't know what you are missing. And you won't know, because you weren't there.

Also, my son's fundraising for his band trip to San Francisco. The band is selling Charity Shopping night tickets for $5. This fundraiser is all profit for the kids. You buy the ticket, go to Orchard Park on Saturday, Nov. 25 with your ticket and enter the draw. Every 2 minutes from 6 pm on, they will make draws for great things. With your portion of the ticket, you will be given a flyer with a list of participating stores, deals and discounts. You can shop all day or go whenever you want. Usually, we get deals on New York Fries, eat and wander. They are good deals, it's just that the kids want to go too so it's really hard to do our Christmas shopping, but this year with the whole day to shop, I can probably ditch the kids and Kerry!
So if you want tickets, let me know, they are going fast!

No comments: