Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Summer Eats

No summer is complete without fresh corn on the cob, which is what I had for breakfast and lunch. A little corn with my salt and butter. I don't know which is better the salt and butter on the corn or licking my plate clean after eating the corn. And eating corn always makes me think about the Valley Fruit Stand and the yummy corn on the cob they sold there. Does anyone know what I am talking about? This is way before the New Life Vineyard building. There was a huge fruit stand on that lot that was torn down to make way for the building that is now New Life, but before it was New Life it was a "market", with fudge, and other things, but I can only remember sweets. It didn't last long.
Then this makes me remember Sid's store which used to be right around where Fabricland is now. Which was also right next to the Armordore Manor which is the first place my parents lived when they got married, where I lived for my first year. And this is important because...my mom works in Fabricland, pretty much on the land that she first lived on with my dad. And they bought stuff from Sid's and veggies from the fruit stand and probably ate corn, which is what I had for breakfast!

(not my mochi picture)
I tried the store bought mochi and the survey says I still don't like it. I couldn't sell it to you, I would suck at it. "here have some rice product that doesn't look like rice because it's been cooked until it's glue-like and then wrapped around a 'cocoa' flavoured bean paste, really, try it, it's deeeelisssshus!!!"
What makes it so darn good is the warning on the package. Yes, the warning!!!
Please eat this rice product with care. Young children and the elderly need to be especially careful in chewing the product thoroughly before swallowing.

We went to the Cactus Club for dinner. Can't say anything good about it, except I wouldn't go back. And having dinner with your "arch-nemesis" or elementary school bully isn't all it's cracked up to be. Really, for all her jock-ness in school, she doesn't look so athletic now. And when I acknowledged the fact we went to elementary school together, she said she recognized me, and I wanted to say "I won't ever forget you! You ruined any chance I had at becoming a pro volleyball player." But I didn't. Because ultimately, I am responsible for me and my feelings and how I deal with those kind of things, but she still had ugly mom pants on.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Funny thing, your elementary school rival!

And I do remember the old fruit stand... I remember going there as a kid when we came to Kelowna to visit my grandparents. My grandpa was friends with the family that owned it originally (fogot their name)....

Mochi... I don't like it either. when we were in edmonton we went to a Japanese restaurant with Joel's bro & family... they are Nathan's patients, so as a little treat they brought us out desert... green tea ice cream for the adults and what we thought were fugicles for the kids. When you think something is a fudgecicle and then you bite into it and realize it's red bean...well, that's quite a disappointment. The kids did not, so much, enjoy their "bean-sicles".