Friday, May 18, 2007

Well meaning



I started off baking some pretty healthy Naughty Biscotti, from the Eat, Shrink and Be Merry cookbook. Okay, so I used Almonds and Chocolate Chips instead of Pistachios and Dried Cranberries, but still, low fat, low sugar, still tasty and they are supposed to be so dry you have to make extra spit just to get them down. My Dad caught me taking pictures of cookies and I could tell he was thinking I'm off my rocker.

Then I decided to add some ground chicken to my meatballs, still thinking healthy, and I actually rolled them with my bare hands. Gag, and shiver!!! I have since washed the first layer of skin off my hands. I will bake them when goodie number 3 is finished. This is where the day gets even better.


That's right, cinnamon buns, from scratch, no bread maker, no Pilsbury dough boy. Oh, why do they look like they are being deep fried in butter, you ask? Because my very old recipe, 13 years old is hand written by me on a piece of printer paper that was out of recycling and has stains on it (taste samples I like to call them).
The recipe says, and I can see this now, SPREAD BUTTER, BROWN SUGAR, RAISINS. CUT 1/2 INCH. Well, NOW I know it doesn't say to spread the butter 1/2 an inch thick. Which at the time I thought was a bit much but it's been years, like at least 5 since I made these. Hee Hee, I should have realized when I had to use 1 1/2 cups of butter. Oops.
So, yes, the rolls are swimming in butter. But at least the other food we eat tonight will balance out our deep fried cinnamon rolls. (which I also forgot to mention that the first pan doesn't have any cinnamon in the roll, it's sprinkled on top) Thanks, Mrs. Dawn, I knew I shouldn't have been doing anything when I was talking to you!

2 comments:

Tara said...

I am SO with you on the raw-meat-hand-scrub thing! I'd love to try one of those biscotti if you have one to spare??

Dawn said...

HAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!
That is totally something I would do! Well, your photos are magazine worthy... the low-fat biscotti and chicken meat balls can be published in LIGHT COOKIGN and the cinnamon buns... well... CHUBBY WEEKLY? ROUND SHAPE?? THE AMERICAN JOURNAL OF BUTTER??

p.s. I'd still eat one!