Thursday, January 17, 2008

Highly Recommended

For Kerry's work Christmas party we went to the Yellow House downtown. It was okay, not great by any means. I had the tenderloin, if I remember right it was $27.00 and I had cheese cake at about $8. The steak was absolutely delicious, but if I was paying for it, I wouldn't have ordered it. The cheese cake didn't have a grain of sugar it it, it was so gross. Overall, very expensive, not worth it.
Fastward to last night...we made reservations to eat at the restaurant run by Shaun's culinary arts class. Not really knowing what to expect in the way of prices or food, it was an adventure. HOLY CRAP!!! We ate way too much, WW points be damned.

The menu...you pick how many courses you want, 2-4 courses all priced accordingly. Then you pick which courses...appies, soup/salad, main, dessert. We went with 3 courses at $18, adding $5 extra for my tenderloin, Emily had a bacon, cheese burger with fries. We had foccacia bread with swan shaped butter, and balsamic vinegar and oil for dipping. Kerry had the tart tatin, oven dried tomatoes and peppers topped with puff pastry and arugula, and I had the Infusions salad with avocado, shrimp and feta.
Then we had watermelon sorbet to cleanse our palate.
Kerry's chicken was stuffed with proscuitto and boconccini cheese. Both his chicken and my tendloin were served with garlic mashed potatoes and veggies. My beef tenderloin was so tender, and tasty. I kept asking Emily if she wanted to try it and she kept saying she was too full, then she caved and tried a bite. She said it was so tender she could break the meat with her tongue and then asked if she could have more, like a plate full. So I was a good mom and I cut her about 1/3 of my steak up.




For dessert, Emily ordered the chocolate pate, made by Shaun and Kerry and I each had the sweet potato cheese cake. Emily didn't want the cheese cake because of the sw. pot. factor, but she tried it and we ended up switching desserts because she loved it.
We ate everything on our plates except for the stalk of white asparagus, neither Kerry or I liked the taste.
I have never seen Emily eat so much and she has never been that full in her life.




So for under $60, the 3 of us had a first class meal, terrific service, a restaurant all to ourselves, and I now have pictures for scrapbooking. I didn't get any of that at the Yellow House.
I give Infusions 5 stars!
And we got to meat a couple of the chefs, I heard the group say they all wanted to come out but someone, probably Shaun, wouldn't let them.

3 comments:

Info Goddess said...

Sounds fantastic! Where is this place?

Dawn said...

Yes! Where can the rest of us enjoy this find?? How cool for those students to get to create in a real restaurant atmosphere!w

Kelli said...

It's the college restaurant, Infusions. You have to make reservations.