Monday, February 01, 2010

Smokin'!

We have been watching a lot of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives lately. There's a bunch of great looking BBQ places that they visit, and it got us thinking that we should get the bbq/smoker out and try it. It was a perk from Kerry's work and we had it for about 2 yrs. before giving it to my parents, who kept it for a few months and then gave it back. We pulled it out of the box and got it set up. We picked up 2 racks of baby back ribs, and a pork butt roast. And using the 'magic' cookbook, I rubbed, rested,and smoked us some meaty goodies.

I also made Texas Style BBQ sauce from scratch.It took a while to put the smoker together, but it was worth it!
It's a good thing the smoker had this very accurate thermometer. After 4 hours of smoking the ribs were to-die-for! On the bbq shows we've been watching, namely BBQ Pitmasters, they say that good ribs won't pull away from the bone when you bite them. You should be able to leave a perfect bite mark in the meat. I think these were a bit over cooked, but pretty close to what they say you want in a perfect rib. The pork roast became pulled pork, I made sweet and sour coleslaw and served it along with the bbq sauce, on toasted garlic buns. I might just smoke all my meat from now on.
I did a bit of scrapbooking on Friday. Each layout still needs 'something' but I'm not sure what yet. While we were waiting, Kerry took a picture of me in my Yokohama fleece from the contest I won.

5 comments:

Smarty Pants said...

Awwwww, Linus looks amazing in that picture. You look comfortable in your new sweater. Haha, just kidding Kellllllllllli, you look nice also.

P.S
Your neighbour (across the street, she stands 5'7, about 22 years old); she is amazing and I know her very well! What a wonderful, smart and courageous person! You're very lucky.

Unknown said...

WOW - you will have to teach me to cook like that!! Tony would love it. Is that the cookbook you got at Costco? Sounds like a good one.

gudrun said...

The meat sounds so yummy! I have just smoked fish before - I may try to smoke the meat too :)
Love your LOs.
The Marked-LO is beautiful!

Jobove - Reus said...

very good blog, congratulations
regard from Reus Catalonia
thank you

Heather said...

Kurt and I watch the triple 'D' show whenever w can...it's great! We have talked about our next road trip...doing the Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives Detour!