Monday, May 26, 2008

Made the Cut.


Warmer weather = going sockless more. Not something I enjoy doing. Besides the obvious damp foot syndrome that occurs when you wear your shoes without socks, there are other perils...Like stepping on things which is what happened to me this weekend. I went sockless, I thought I had a piece of wood from a certain dog's stick stuck to the bottom of my foot. So instead of looking and removing it with my hand, I decided to 'wipe/grind' it off on the deck. This made for a bit of pain, then when I did look, I noticed some red stuff. Still thinking that there is something stuck to my foot, I ask Shaun to look. He says "looks like blood" which is the beginning of the end for me. I can't stand the sight of blood, I've probably told you about my attempts at being a blood donor. I kind of pass out. So we have to get Kerry to look at my foot and right off the bat he says "you have a sliver or something stuck in there" so he pulls out my beautiful Tweezerman tweezers and makes like he's going gold digging.
NOT in my FOOT...I can feel the anxiety coming on. He says "calm down, you can't freak out because you will set a bad example for the kids". The thought of HIM digging in my foot gave me the willies. So I rinsed it off, there was nothing that I could see in my foot. Then I ran my hand over the cut and sure enough there was something in there causing the almost passing out pain. I gently squeezed but still couldn't see anything, but when I ran the tweezers over it, I could hear the scrapping of metal on glass...not a great noise to have coming from one of my 2 favourite feet.
It took a while but I finally managed to squeeze and scrape a decent chunk of glass out of my foot. That's it on my hand. No matter how much I tried, I couldn't make it look as big as it felt.
What did I learn this weekend? When you have pain somewhere, look before grinding your body part into the ground. And where socks for Pete's Sake.
The other thing I learned, weeding is almost exercise. My butt hurts from sitting on the stool, my left arm hurts from over zealous weed pulling. We figured 2 more hours of weeding should get most of the weed in the garden. I hate the size of it, but we can't agree on how to make it smaller. So now I have some rhubarb, strawberries, chives, spaghetti squash, zucchini, and volunteer onions and garlic. And every year as I am weeding I think about how I could have the biggest, bestest, fullest garden with fresh beans, carrots, peas, etc. and then I remember how I hate weeding, I hate bugs, I hate the heat, and I love the coolness of the grocery store even more.

1 comment:

bcgal00 Rae said...

Glad you got that glass out. I've done that & it hurts! I'm with ya on how weeding sucks. I told D that we have to clean up our garden this wk,or maybe next wk, or later this summer. You can see how this is going for me...I'm procrastinating big time.