Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Keeping Kerry for another year!

It's bonus time at Kerry's place of work. Every year we cross our fingers in hopes that his bonus is at least what it was last year but if it's not, we will be happy to get one at all.
It's been a very prosperous year in the building industry and we were not let down. Due to reasons like "maybe someone will read your blog" and because it's not correct to talk about how much one makes, I can't say exactly what the amount was. I can say it's at least 5 times larger than when he started there about 13 years ago. I can say and am very, very thankful for this...this is probably the number 1 reason I can stay home and work as little as I do. Let's just say his bonus is probably more than I would make at a part-time job. And he got a raise!
So that means we made the call to our 'people', like the H&R commercial, our very wise financial advisor. She, too, was very happy with the news. We are told every year not to count on getting a bonus like that next year. Kerry's company has an RRSP plan where they match 25% so it makes sense to take advantage of this. The very, very sad part is that because of taxes we never ever see the full or even 1/2 the amount of the bonus. It's sooooo sad. It might just be bittersweet. Good bye money we never knew we had.
And on the upside, our FA told us that we were an anomaly when it comes to investing and financial stuff.
a·nom·a·ly [uh-nom-uh-lee] 1. a deviation from the common rule, type, arrangement, or form. 2. someone or something anomalous: With his quiet nature, he was an anomaly in his exuberant family. 3. an odd, peculiar, or strange condition, situation, quality, etc.
This makes me happy. Very happy. It hasn't come easy and sometimes it's no fun to save money. But when she tells us things like that it warms my heart.

I know Kerry works very hard at his job and that it's not all fun and games lately but it's days like yesterday that make all the grumbling worthwhile, and the day I got my ipod, that was a good one too, for me, not so much for him.

And with the bonus upon us, that means TAXES need to be done...that should have been in my Five Things, under THE Bane of My Existance!

Shaun said something funny last night, at least I laughed hysterically at it. We were talking about things people always say, like me for example...I say "Guardians of Zut Alors", it's from a cartoon commercial and it sticks in my head and comes out when something exciting happens. And I say "Mother of Pearl!" Shaun says "Some people say 'John, Mary and Jesus!' to which I reply "Don't you mean Peter, Paul and Mary?" and then Kerry says in his you-two-are-idiots voice "It's JESUS, MARY and JOSEPH!" and I found this funny. So funny that 10 minutes later I was still replaying it in my head and adding to my funny things to say when Shaun gets married speach.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

YAY!!! I'm so thrilled for you...thank you so much for sharing your JOYS!...and your little funny...that is so much fun! Love it!
xoxo
Loves,
K